Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bass Fishing - My Number One Bass Secret

Well the results are in and most of the readers of my fishing blog want me to continue the bass series, so at least for the next couple of articles I will continue writing about bass. You may have noticed I don't talk about very many lures. When I was younger I had tackle boxes full of all the hot new lures and boxes of older lures that had fallen out of favor, and many boxes full of plastic worms in every color, size and brand. But as I got older ( and hopefully wiser ) instead of changing lures, lure colors, and lure sizes all day looking for the hot combo that bass couldn't resist, I came to the realization that "lures were just tools to help me catch fish with."

Bass will eat just about anything they can get in their mouth. Fishing is just like hunting, you may have the best gun with the best bullets money can buy, but if you are hunting in an area with no animals or birds, you will have nothing to shoot no matter how good of a shot you are.

The same with fishing, no matter how good your tackle is, how well equipped your boat is or how proficient you are at casting, you will catch no fish unless you are fishing where the fish are!!!! Ninety five percent of the fish are found in five percent of the lake or river you are fishing. The same holds true of the ocean too.

When I learned this lesson, I became a much better fisherman, I did not waste my time running around the lake, throwing everything in my tacklebox's at the fish in the hope I might catch one. I now go to one area of the lake that has the most different kinds of cover and depth ranges in one spot ( the forty five degree bank ) and sit there and methodically search each depth and cover type until I start catching fish, then I use the best lure ( tool ) to fish that cover type and depth range in the most efficient way possible.

Read the preceding paragraph many times until you understand it. Then you may want to go back and read the articles on fishing a forty five degree bank to figure the depth fish are using. I have narrowed down the lures and colors I use to just a few that work for me. Most of the lures I mention can be found at the Bass Pro Shop's website. You can quickly get there by clicking the fishing lure icon under google ads on the right side of this column, on the next page again click the fishing lure icon on the left side then click on " Fishing Lures and Kits at Bass Pro" they have one of the largest stocks of lures on the internet or any where for that matter, and their prices are lower than most tackle shops.

No comments: